Did you know the cause of silver tarnish is sulphides in the air rather than oxygen? Silver tarnish build-up is the dulling that naturally occurs when silver reacts with sulfur or hydrogen sulfide in the ambient air.
LilyFair Jewelry has few tips for you to keep your sterling silver jewelry always shining :
1. Clean your sterling silver with the proper method. Use polishes formulated specifically to remove tarnish. You can find fine silver polishes, solutions, or cloths appropriate to remove tarnish at most hardware stores or speciality craft stores.
2. Wearing your sterling silver jewelry often is the best way to prevent tarnish from building up. Regular cleanings of all your silver items will prevent tarnish and keep your silver bright and sparkling.
3. Clean your sterling silver as soon as you see any sign of tarnish. Tarnish is most easily removed when it first becomes visible.
4. Minimize scratches and other damage; store your silver jewelry either in a cloth pouch or in a separate compartment in your jewellery box. Avoid exposing your silver to household chemicals when cleaning with bleach or ammonia, or when swimming in chlorinated water, as these chemicals can damage silver.
5. It’s a good idea not to wear your silver when swimming, bathing, or cleaning.